Sunday, June 6, 2010

Practicing ...

So, we both are kind of practicing our art right now - Madam, how to catch flies, and I, how to take pictures with my new gear of Madam trying to catch flies. :)
The new camera is marvelous - the picture quality is superb, the handling and operation is a dream, but with all new equipment, here too there is a learning curve. So my first attempts of shooting Madam with the macro lens ... well ... it's a learning curve. I'll probably need to use a tripod eventually. The depth of field of that macro lens is extremely shallow and it is next to impossible to get a correctly focused picture by hand-holding the camera. The picture below illustrates that perfectly - her left eye is sharp, everything else is blurred out of focus.



Today marked the first time that I actually saw Madam stalking a prey - those small shiny flies that buzz around the plant all the time. I thought that maybe those are still a bit too big for her, but she brought herself carefully in position, then stood there motionless before she began to rock back and forth ever so slightly. Apparently that is in preparation of her jumping forward, and doing that out of a back and forth motion should give her a little advantage, the split second that determines over live and death for the fly. Alas, several attempts were thwarted, because the flies didn't stay long enough for Madam to pounce on them.
I am really anxious to actually see her being successful at the hunt, because up until now I haven't seen her eat at all. Maybe she's a vegetarian ...

No comments:

Post a Comment